The late US researcher James E McDonald visited Australia in 1967. While here, he interviewed dozens of Australians about their UAP sightings, both by phone and in person.
Recently, the attention of Melbourne researcher Paul Dean and myself, was drawn, by US researcher Brad Sparks, to the University of Arizona's special collection MS412, of papers which had been gathered by McDonald.
On the University's special collections website there appears a listing of the contents of McDonald's boxes of papers. Among the listing for box one, is a folder, 'Australian Miscellaneous Sightings: Slides, Sullivan, Westall School sightings.'
I am not aware of anyone who has accessed this folder. Therefore, I submitted an application to the University of Arizona to obtain a copy of the contents of the folder. After paying their fee, and waiting a few days, I received a WeTransfer of the contents.
What is in this folder?
1. 16 July 1967. 'The Sun-Herald' Sydney, New South Wales newspaper. Possible sighting of a flying saucer by Maggie Tabberer and Pat Firman.
2. 8 pages of 'Summary of Unusual Aerial Sightings reported to the Department of Air Canberra' 1960-1965. Sent by Peter Norris of Melbourne.
3. Envelope addressed to McDonald from VFSRS.
4. 30 Aug 1967. 'Mercury' Hobart, Tasmania newspaper. 'UFOs seen over state.'30 Aug 1967. 'Advocate' Burnie, Tasmania newspaper. 'Three UFO sightings.'
5. 5 May 1967. 'Bairnsdale Advertiser' Bairnsdale, Victoria newspaper. An earthquake in Victoria.
6. 30 Aug 1967. 'Advertiser' Adelaide, South Australia newspaper. '"Space systems" may be watching us.'
30 Aug 1967. 'Examiner' Launceston, Tasmania newspaper. 'We are being watched.'
30 Aug 1967 'The Mercury' Hobart, Tasmania newspaper. 'Scientist claims eyes from space may be watching.'
7. 25 Aug 1967. 'Advocate' Burnie, Tasmania newspaper. 'UFOs seen by four.'
30 Aug 1967. 'Telegraph' Sydney, New South Wales newspaper. 'Saucers.'
8. Envelope addressed to McDonald.
9. Letter dated 5 Sep 1967 to McDonald from Francis L Rose.
10. 4 pages re McDonald's appearance on ABC TV show.
11. 19 Mar 1967. 'Mail' Brisbane, Queensland newspaper. St George-Mitchell sighting.
26 Mar 1967. 'Courier Mail' Brisbane, Queensland newspaper. 'Spotter in dark over 'saucer.''
12. 23 Mar 1967. 'Journal' Traralgon, Victoria newspaper. 'What is the noise?'
11 Mar 1967 'Sunraysia Daily' Mildura, Victoria newspaper. 'What is it?
13. Undated newspaper 'We saw flying saucer over Hallam.'
14. 14 Nov 1963. 'Wonthaggi Express' ''More see a UFO.'
15. 31 May 1963. '?' newspaper, Sydney. 'Flying saucers just 'poppycock.''
30 May 1963. 'News' Adelaide, South Australia newspaper. 'Object in sky not a meteor.'
30 May 1963. 'Mirror' Sydney, New South Wales 'Mystery light over Canberra.'
16. 31 May 1963. 'The Age' Melbourne, Victoria newspaper. 'Mystery object in Canberra sky.'
30 May 1963. 'Telegraph' Brisbane, Queensland newspaper. 'A saucer sighted by scientists.'
31 May 1963, 'The Sun' 'Canberra saucer was vampire jet.'
17. Ballarat Astronomical Society 1965 UFO conference.
18. 2 pages. 'Experiences with UFOs' by W H Sloane.
19. 3 pages. Ballarat observatory.
20. Program. Ballarat UFO conference 1965.
21. 29 Jun 1967. Letter from W H Sloane to McDonald.
22. 10 Jul 1967. ? re WRE.
23. 21 Jul 1965. 'Telegraph' Sydney, New South Wales newspaper. 'The thing on the beach.'
24. 24 Apr 1965. Letter to VFSRS from Len Langford re sighting in September 1962.
25. 13 Mar 1965. 'Sydney Morning Herald' Sydney, New South Wales newspaper. 'My flying saucer-Keith Hooper.'
26. Uncited newspaper. 'Moon object pics.' Iron Duke ship photographs.
27. 31 Dec 1965. Letter to Paul Norman from Observatory Adhara.
28. 28 Jun 1967. Letter to McDonald from Sydney radio station 2GB.
29. 7 Nov 1963. 'The Express' Wonthaggi, Victoria newspaper. Bread carter sighting.
30. UK Flying Saucer Review article, Jul-Aug 1966 re Westall.
31. 21 Apr 1966. 'The Dandenong Journal' article re Westall.
32. Sheet - hand written note. 'Westall School. Misc notes 5/20/67. Aust FSR no 5 p13 for Greenwood's account.
33. 14 Apr 1966. 'The Dandenong Journal' 'Flying saucer mystery.'
As can be seen, the folder contains information about miscellaneous Australian sightings, but nothing of significance about the 6 Apr 1966 Westall event. However, it should be noted that McDonald did conduct a face to face interview with Westall witness Andrew Greenwood. To read a detailed summary of this 1967 Greenwood interview, click here
To read detailed summaries of all the 1967 Australian witness interviews by McDonald, compiled by Sydney researcher Anthony Clarke and myself, click here.